Happy Birthday, Mr. Smith!
It’s hard not to think about Curt Smith, he stays on our minds. It’s obvious! There are many days where we gather and talk about great moments that he helped make happen or relive the numerous fascinating pre and post show events he created for fans. When we need a moment of respite and joy, we think about how Curt has been there and helped us all. From the many conversations on his greatness, we’ve put together 59 amazing moments about Curt and incredible memories from the past 10 years. It’s one of our many ways of celebrating his birthday. Big shoutout to James Colah, UK’s #1 indie Smooth Jazz artist who met Curt back in 1985 while touring with Tears for Fears as the keyboardist for the band’s openers, The Adventures. He too sent a sweet Happy Birthday which is detailed in a recent interview featured here on the TFF Travel Fan site.
Curt is one of those really great guys that the Universe gifts the globe. Enjoy some fun moments, remember cool things he has done and read the great things about him featured in the list below. Feel free to share some of your favourite memories as well! Tweet him @curtsmith today on Twitter.
59 Blessings and Moments of Bliss with Curt Smith
1. Making sure that all fans had a ticket to his show in 2010 at McCabes. One fan didn’t have a ticket and he made sure they got on the list anyway.
2. His incredible kindness at his show at Bardot Hollywood to fans who flew out from a variety of cities
3. Follow all the winners on Twitter for the charity project win in 2010
4. Having an amazing residency show at the Whitefire Theatre and buying dinner for fans
5. Always being polite and speaking to people despite his busy schedule
6. Sharing his family with us – we love his family! #TeamLadyFP #TeamDWAngels
7. Raising two incredible daughters
8. His love for nature and animals
9. The encouragement he gives fans
10. Being a real ally on EVERY level
11. Standing up for justice and what is right no matter what
12. Spending time online with fans well past the designated time during online events
13. Introducing us to great people in his circle of friends (e.g. Zoe Keating, Eric Alper, Jason Alexander (Seinfeld), John Taylor (Duran Duran) to name a few) *Happy Birthday John Taylor (21 July)
14. Being tolerant (of everythinnnng)
15. Playing on despite any discomfort (e.g. sang while sick in 2019 & on his birthday – Curt don’t do that, we want you well, we can wait.)
16. Taking us with him virtually on trips to Toscana, Italia
17. Sharing his dogs Bella and Ivy with us online
18. Being honest yet diplomatic
19. Keeping in touch and checking in when he didn’t have to
20. Honouring diversity in music
21. Psyche and everything he did on the show (we still want revenge on that panther)
22. Sharing his health routine and giving useful health advice
23. Humouring us as a Kerfuffle of Kooks
24. Great shows and events in California
25. The way he waves at the start of shows and walks the stage waving at everyone on all sides
26. Calling out fans at shows and saying hello is the most incredible thing EVER!
27. Being amazing without an ego
28. Birthday shoutouts
29. Incredible ability to forgive
30. Retweets on quality content
31. Nice hugs during photos – like genuine kindness and hugs
32. Being present and visible, accessible for a hello and thank you
33. Dancing at shows
34. Skittle Showers (if he had a hose..omg Make it Rain!)
35. The Mayfield Bundle with all that cool merch – we still wear it and use the cool bag
36. That Mayfield longsleeved tshirt
37. Suffering crazy fans (We have most of that under control but once in while…smh)
38. The ability to not get angry and remain composed during the most difficult of times
39. Proper use of the word ‘Fuck’
40. The love he displays and shares with his wife – it’s impressive to see couples like that!
41. Listening online
42. Answering tweets
43. Keeping us updated on shows and the latest information that he has on the band
44. Writing music – Deceptively Heavy was a really great gift
45. Staying the course – we know that being a musician isn’t all peaches and cream, yet he is here!
46. Saying, “’Insert city’ we are in you!”
47. Sharing the details of the crunch cake
48. Those Thanksgiving dinners!
49. Merch, there’s always good merch, either his or the band’s. It’s always good and wearable.
50. Kind words to audience members at shows
51. His memory – we love his memory – he just knows and remembers so much!
52. The great song selections at his shows!
53. Having Psych members and the pineapple on stage in 2010 at McCabe’s
54. Incredible opportunities to chat before shows on so many occasions and the overall miracles he provides for people he knows need them. We should call him St. Curt and not just Superman. Pretty sure he’s over these nicknames…but we can’t help it.
55. Being an amazing model and music ambassador for Tears for Fears, guitarists and musicians
56. Style – he knows how to wear anything very well and inspires us #TeamDocs
57. The time he featured Janice on Trees
58. The collaboration with Zoe Keating and All Is Love
59. Being an amazing humanitarian – he’s a master at it in every way
We’re not the only ones who had some amazing memories of Curt and Tears for Fears. During a recent Tim Twitter Listening Party, Curt and Tim took time to re-explore The Hurting. For over an hour, love and likes, RTs and replies flowed in from fans around the globe who stayed up late or made it part of their afternoon to enjoy these tracks and Curt tweeting about them. Curt and Tim spent quality time with fans deep diving into the music and it was marvelous! Checkout the replay of tweets and turn on The Hurting for the full effect if you missed the party.
We’ll never forget that time we got to sing him Happy Birthday in person (thanks Sheila “SheeShee”) and the time he lost a bet with Charlton and had to sing, “I Feel Pretty.” He’s hilarious! Let’s continue to celebrate him throughout the day! Celebrate Curt with us! We’ll be enjoying a collection of his personal solo music, praying, fasting and thinking of him as we are known to do. May he and his family remain blessed. If we had it “like that” we’d buy him a ton of cars and gifts he could share with charities. He’s super generous and led us to some great charity groups to which to give. That’s the kind of guy he is! We’re forever grateful for Curt Smith!
You can also celebrate by recreating your favourite album cover! Here are the recent winners from our Tears for Fears Travel Fan Fun – Tears for Fears Tuesdays #TFFTuesdays
Photo credit: Curt Smith photo shares from his collection
Winners: Katie Sunflower, Karlie, Penny D and Pam R. – won $15 each to use in the TFF merch store.
Thanks for partying!
– TFF Travel Fan Team (@papasfans)